Thursday, April 3, 2008

Necessity

Is church, as we know it in 21st Century America, necessary? Is it what God intended? Is it the same or even similar to what we see in the New Testament? If not, what should it be?

I'm not a member or attender of a Church but was raised in it (Orthodox Presbyterian). Most things Church get me pretty angry. What I see on TV and what I experienced when I did go and growing up was, to me, disingenuous.

That's pretty harsh and I realize that it's a gross generalization. I've been actively involved in Churches for most of my life up to about 6 months ago when I got frustrated enough to leave. On the surface, they can do a lot of good. But as "deep" as they try to be, I don't think most ever get beneath the surface of their constituents, nor do they want to. It's uncomfortable. It's tough and it leads to disappointments that make most uncomfortable with what they claim God through Jesus is willing and able to do. They bring you in (some to the point they could make millions as recruiters - but wait; they do!)and woo you. They make you feel good about yourself and then put you to work bringing in other people. It's now your job to woo. If you don't woo, there must be a problem. Do you have a problem? Give it to Jesus, he'll help you through it. Wait, Jesus hasn't taken it away yet? You haven't shown any signs of progression or growth? Really? Well, then there must be a problem with you! Maybe there's a problem with your salvation! Maybe you were never saved! You just thought you were but since we no longer see any evidence of your salvation, you must not be. Oh, and the position of authority that you're in, that lead roll you play in anything church, well, you can't do it anymore. What would the general congregation think if someone in a leadership roll...

I think I've made my point. And, so you don't think of me as an embittered person who just experienced the above, I haven't. I've never been asked to leave a Church. I've never been put under Church discipline formal or informal. I have, however, witnessed the nuances of what I outlined in the extreme above, time and time again; to the point where I no longer wanted to be a part of an organization that perpetrates and perpetuates them. To me, that is what the Church does.

So, please, respond with your thoughts. Don't rip me apart as my intention was not to rip the body of the Church apart. If you're a Church goer, I don't look down on you, just question the organization you're a part of. I'm sure there are many Churches that don't do what I described above. The five Churches I've been a part of, however, have all done it in some way shape or form. My goal is not to tear down the body, rather, figure out what that body SHOULD look like. I don't think I have the answers, I just question if the Church as we know it does...

No comments: